Sunday, April 15, 2012

I went on a couple of fashion blind dates last week. They're blind dates because I went to two fashion events by myself and I knew nobody. So I felt sick to my stomach not knowing what to expect, who I'd meet and or what on earth to talk about! But I went because I love fashion and keeping up with trends. Worth the social anxiety? YES. What better way to immerse myself in this world besides actually meeting fashion designers, photographers, models, and event planners all in one place! I came prepared with my business cards and résumés too. One particular person I wanted to meet at this mixer was "life stylist" Benjamin Cottrell. He's a major fashion face in Chicago for producing unique fashion shows and events. This month Benjamin was featured in CS Interors Magazine and Apartment Therapy for his luxurious Chicago apartment. You can see Benjamin and I posing for a photo op up above! We're BFF's now. Besides meeting new friends, the mixer was hosted in a fabric warehouse so the fashion designers could also get some work done while they were there!

My second fashion date was at an actual fashion show a couple of days later. Models, runways, wine, cameras flickering, goody bags (I got a goody bag!), and beautiful clothes! The clothes! I don't have any good photos since the setting was dimly lit, but GOCA: The Elegance of Maturity fashion show was produced by Benjamin Cottrell Designs and the collection was designed by design-duo Gordana Gogiloo Rasic and Omar Villalobos. I'm hooked and ready for more blind dates. Maybe after a few more of these, I'll get to know more people in the scene and not get hives before I walk into the event by myself. Eek!


Credits: Photo of Benjamin and me by Mark Lattimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment